Saturday, April 28, 2012

REVIEW: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Title: Water for Elephants
Author: Sara Gruen
1st Published: May 26th 2006
Page Count: Massmarket, 445 pages
Finished Reading: April 28, 2012

Goodreads Synopsis: A novel of star-crossed lovers, set in the circus world circa 1932. When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits, a second-rate circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town. A veterinary student who almost earned his degree, Jacob is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her.


Review: I bought the novel after seeing it everywhere apparently, because the movie was coming out then I found it the movie tie in version for less the six bucks, and bought it. I read some of it, and put it down (even though I thought it was good. I don't know why I just put books down a lot.) So I finally, finished it and cannot believe it took me this long to finish it. I loved it even though I wanted to kill some of the characters (readers of the book know who I am talking about). This book had me reading till the very end, took me three days, because of college. I loved the ending it was great I was happy for the old man.

Oh yeah, I believe that was my favorite part of the book, the flash forwards. I don't know why but I just loved how Sara Gruen captured the feeling of Jacob as an old man. I could image the nursing home, and why he was grumpy at Mr. McGuinty for lying about carrying water for the elephants. I just loved that part of things.

It was just a really good read, and I recommend it for everyone! Especially people who like books about forbidden love :)

My Rating: ★★★★★
Overall (Goodreads) Rating: 4.06 Stars
( o u t . o f . f i v e . stars)

[ Check out @ Goodreads]

2 comments:

  1. always wanted to read one of her books but I can't find it in our town's bookstore. Anyways I'm so glad I found this blog, Nice blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope when you'll read it... you'll enjoy it as much as I did. :DDD Sorry for the late reply! D: And THAT makes me really happy to know... I'm currently trying to do more on this blog... So I hope you enjoy that as well. :P

      Delete

Currently Reading:

The Battle of the Labyrinth
Smart Girls Think Twice
Summer at Tiffany
The Haunting of Hill House
Rot & Ruin
Misery


Geisha Cielos's favorite books »

Book Rating System

★★★★★ - It was AMAZING!! (WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS?!?!?!
★★★★☆ - REALLY liked it (You must check it out!)
★★★☆☆ - Liked it (Of course... you'll most likely like this.)
★★☆☆☆ - It was okay (hmm... you may like this.)
★☆☆☆☆ - Didn't like it (Why did I read this? Who would like this?)

Popular Posts

Manga/Comics Rating System.

CATEGORIES
- Story
- Art
- Character
- Enjoyment
- Overall

SCORING SYSTEM
10 Outstanding
9 Great
8 Very Goodv 7 Good
6 Fair
5 Mediocre (not very good)
4 Decent
3 Poor
2 Dreadful
1 Pathetic
http://myanimelist.net/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Personal Blog | ♥ | Media Review Blog
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Instagram

Looking for Something?