Sunday, January 20, 2013

REVIEW: On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Title: On the Island
Author: Tracey Garvis-Graves
1st Published: 2011
Genre: Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Page Count: Paperback, 319 pages
Finish Reading: January, 2013
First Sentence(s): CH1 - ANNA: I was thirty years old when the seaplane T.J. Callahan and I were traveling on crash-land in the Indian Ocean. (excerpt)

Goodreads Synopsis: When thirty-year-old English teacher Anna Emerson is offered a job tutoring T.J. Callahan at his family's summer rental in the Maldives, she accepts without hesitation; a working vacation on a tropical island trumps the library any day. T.J. Callahan has no desire to leave town, not that anyone asked him. He's almost seventeen and if having cancer wasn't bad enough, now he has to spend his first summer in remission with his family - and a stack of overdue assignments - instead of his friends.

Anna and T.J. are en route to join T.J.'s family in the Maldives when the pilot of their seaplane suffers a fatal heart attack and crash-lands in the Indian Ocean. Adrift in shark-infested waters, their life jackets keep them afloat until they make it to the shore of an uninhabited island.

Now Anna and T.J. just want to survive and they must work together to obtain water, food, fire, and shelter. Their basic needs might be met but as the days turn to weeks, and then months, the castaways encounter plenty of other obstacles, including violent tropical storms, the many dangers lurking in the sea, and the possibility that T.J.'s cancer could return. As T.J. celebrates yet another birthday on the island, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man.


REVIEW
Let me start off by saying that I LOVED THIS BOOK, PICK IT UP!! This book is adult fiction so it does have some mature content in it, but I believe that if you are a mature young adult you too will enjoy this book. Just letting you know! (There isn't a lot of "sexy" scenes, but there is some.)

This book has made my 2013 favorite books of the year list. (YES! I loved it that much.)

This book is about this 30 year old teacher named Anna and this 16 (almost 17) year old gay named T.J. Anna is going to be tutoring T.J. for the summer… on an island, since T.J's parents want to go to their private island in order for he could concentrate on his school work. (Since he missed a lot of school because of the cancer.) But since Anna doesn't get out of for the summer till a week later then T.J's school does. So T.J. and Anna end up going on an airplane a week later… and their plane happens to crash. :O!

Yes! This book is about survival. There are parts where they are starving, thirsty, and feel like it's the end. They must learn how to make fire, houses, bathe, etc… on this island. I enjoyed the author's writing style it made the book feel like a movie in my head. It was a fast paced book and at times it kept me on my toes… wanting to know more.

I believe the cover or covers did not do the book justice. Even though the cover I read the book under was beautiful. I felt like it made it seem like it was just a simple fun read and even though it kind of was it touched complex subjects most people can debate about. It also made me feel all the emotions happy, sad, scared, and even anger! While I was reading this book I would say "I would hate it if… this happens or if this does't happened" In the end I was satisfied! LOVED THIS BOOK! I hope you pick this book up and enjoy it as much as I did!! And if you didn't I tell me why!! Comment below telling me if you read and like or read and disliked this book!

NEGATIVES:
• I can't think of anything!


POSITIVES:
• It made me feel ALL the emotions.
• It played like a film in my head.
• It had me on my toes.

• I love Anna's character she was very complex, but who isn't.

• I love T.J's character (I would date a T.J. in a second.) He was a simple lovable character, with a complex history.

VIDEO REVIEW:


MY FAVORITE QUOTE(S):
“Quote” ― Character, Author (Will update later.)


Overall
I RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE.

My Rating: ★★★★★
Overall (Goodreads) Rating: 4.16 Stars
( o u t . o f . f i v e . stars)

[ Check out @ Goodreads ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently Reading:

The Battle of the Labyrinth
Smart Girls Think Twice
Summer at Tiffany
The Haunting of Hill House
Rot & Ruin
Misery


Geisha Cielos's favorite books »

Book Rating System

★★★★★ - It was AMAZING!! (WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS?!?!?!
★★★★☆ - REALLY liked it (You must check it out!)
★★★☆☆ - Liked it (Of course... you'll most likely like this.)
★★☆☆☆ - It was okay (hmm... you may like this.)
★☆☆☆☆ - Didn't like it (Why did I read this? Who would like this?)

Popular Posts

Manga/Comics Rating System.

CATEGORIES
- Story
- Art
- Character
- Enjoyment
- Overall

SCORING SYSTEM
10 Outstanding
9 Great
8 Very Goodv 7 Good
6 Fair
5 Mediocre (not very good)
4 Decent
3 Poor
2 Dreadful
1 Pathetic
http://myanimelist.net/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Personal Blog | ♥ | Media Review Blog
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Instagram

Looking for Something?