Friday, October 7, 2011

REVIEW: If I Stay by Gayle Forman


Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Date Published: January 1, 2009
Page Count: 199 pages
Year Read: 2011


Goodreads: In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...  A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make -and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

Review: First things first.. what the buck... the Summit Company (owns Twilight) did not want to turn this novel into a movie, because many "compared" it to Twilight. I do not see how Twilight is even relevant to  this novel. Maybe in the sense of have to choosing "X-Choice" or "Y-Choice" but seriously what the buck. This novel could become a great emotional film, if filmed properly, but who knows maybe this is a good thing and someone picks up this novel and just does a fantastic job with the film. Can't even say how mad I am.


What would you do if you had to choose?  
On a day that started like any other...

I walked into the bookstore and noticed this book on the shelf, it caught my interest; Yes, based on the cover.  I was... so.... close... of putting this book down just because USA Today quoted, "Will appeal to fans of Stephenie Meyer's TWILIGHT." I was just *gasp* another vampire book, so I walked away (technically, I did put it down). I don't remember why, but I got the book and bought it... I took a chance on this book without even knowing what it was about. It did sit on my shelf for months before I finally got around to reading it(after watching reviews and people raving about it). 

Just WOW! This book made me drop a couple of tears... In my opinion this novel was a philosophical read... it had me thinking about what I would do if I were in this situation... weather I would give up or would I keep going... it was just so much to take in... and how music was applied was beautiful... it's a situation I hope I am never in. 

I don't really want to spoil much... since this whole novel happens all in a day (7:09 A.M. - 7:16 P.M.). You may already have an idea on how the author approaches this novel with a normal ordinary day and all of a sudden... the life Mia once knew is gone... with a blink of an eye.... flashbacks start to happen... reminiscing what life has brought her... and just emotional situations... situations no person could handle... a situation I may never want to handle... Yes, the novel starts off with a normal family breakfast... your introduced to Mia's family and may learn to love them in just the first few pages... it starts off with a day like any other...  somewhat like the Grey's Anatomy Episode Golden Hour (may have been a big spoiler, but if it makes you feel better its not the same exact situation) because ones whole life could change with in an hour... just one hour... you could be having the time of your life and an hour later you could be upset with something... Life swifts and turns you never know what to expect... I'll stop here...

JUST GO AND BUY THIS NOVEL .... and go on this emotional adventure with Mia... and find out what she decides to do...

My Rate: ★★★★
 Overall (Goodreads) Rate: 4.03 Stars 
( o u t . o f . f i v e . stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently Reading:

The Battle of the Labyrinth
Smart Girls Think Twice
Summer at Tiffany
The Haunting of Hill House
Rot & Ruin
Misery


Geisha Cielos's favorite books »

Book Rating System

★★★★★ - It was AMAZING!! (WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS?!?!?!
★★★★☆ - REALLY liked it (You must check it out!)
★★★☆☆ - Liked it (Of course... you'll most likely like this.)
★★☆☆☆ - It was okay (hmm... you may like this.)
★☆☆☆☆ - Didn't like it (Why did I read this? Who would like this?)

Popular Posts

Manga/Comics Rating System.

CATEGORIES
- Story
- Art
- Character
- Enjoyment
- Overall

SCORING SYSTEM
10 Outstanding
9 Great
8 Very Goodv 7 Good
6 Fair
5 Mediocre (not very good)
4 Decent
3 Poor
2 Dreadful
1 Pathetic
http://myanimelist.net/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Personal Blog | ♥ | Media Review Blog
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Instagram

Looking for Something?