Thursday, September 20, 2012

REVIEW: The 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith

The 101 Dalmatians Title: The Hundred and One Dalmatians
Author: Dodie Smith
1st Published: 1956
Genre: Children's Classic
Finish Reading: April, 2012
First Sentence: Not long ago, there lived in London a young married couple of Dalmatian dogs named Pongo and Missis Pongo. (Missis had added Pongo's name to her own on their marriage, but was still called Missis by most people.)

Goodreads Synopsis: The Hundred and One Dalmatians, or the Great Dog Robbery is a 1956 children's novel by Dodie Smith about the robbery of the titular family of 101 Dalmatian dogs. A sequel entitled The Starlight Barking continues from the end of the first novel.

At a dinner party attended by the Dearly couple, Cruella de Vil expresses her dislike for animals; subsequently, the couple's new Dalmatian puppies disappear. The Dearly dogs are now among 97 puppies who were kidnapped or legally purchased from various owners, with the intention of skinning them for their fur. Through the co-operation of animals and the "Twilight Bark", the dogs are found in Suffolk, England, and a rescue ensues.

REVIEW
So one day I realized I haven't read the book that contains one of my favorite Disney villains and I'm glad I did. This book was an enjoyable read. Though I did have a couple complaints, aside from that I enjoyed this book a lot.

NEGATIVES:
• Not enough Cruella de Vil in this book, but I've heard there's another two books… so can't wait to check those out!
• Missis characteristics seemed to be weak and a bit ignorant, and I didn't like that much. Especially, since Pongo is a very intellectual dalmatians.

POSITIVES:
• I loved the twilight barking idea it's very awesome concept.
• I enjoyed the fact that Dodie Smith created some awesome characters. Who would have though of such a story. xP • The mystery to the arithmetic of the whole 101 dalmatian concept was awesome!! I enjoyed the mystery. :DD

VIDEO REVIEW:


MY FAVORITE QUOTE(S):
"What's is your married name, Cruella?" "My name is still de Vil" "I am the last of my family so I made my husband change his name to mine." ― Dodie Smith, The 101 Dalmations

Overall
The book was great. I recommend it to children and anyone else who likes children's books especially, books about animals.

My Rating: ★★★★☆
Overall (Goodreads) Rating: 4.01 Stars
( o u t . o f . f i v e . stars)

[ Check out @ Goodreads ] [ Book Excerpt ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently Reading:

The Battle of the Labyrinth
Smart Girls Think Twice
Summer at Tiffany
The Haunting of Hill House
Rot & Ruin
Misery


Geisha Cielos's favorite books »

Book Rating System

★★★★★ - It was AMAZING!! (WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS?!?!?!
★★★★☆ - REALLY liked it (You must check it out!)
★★★☆☆ - Liked it (Of course... you'll most likely like this.)
★★☆☆☆ - It was okay (hmm... you may like this.)
★☆☆☆☆ - Didn't like it (Why did I read this? Who would like this?)

Popular Posts

Manga/Comics Rating System.

CATEGORIES
- Story
- Art
- Character
- Enjoyment
- Overall

SCORING SYSTEM
10 Outstanding
9 Great
8 Very Goodv 7 Good
6 Fair
5 Mediocre (not very good)
4 Decent
3 Poor
2 Dreadful
1 Pathetic
http://myanimelist.net/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Personal Blog | ♥ | Media Review Blog
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Instagram

Looking for Something?