Wednesday, April 3, 2013

REVIEW: Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Geek Girl
Title: Geek Girl
Author: Holly Smale
1st Published: February 28, 2013
Genre: Fiction
Page Count: Paperback, 378 pages
Finish Reading: April, 2013
First Sentence: My name is Harriet Manners, and I am a geek.

Goodreads Synopsis: Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?


DISCLAIMER: E-Book ARC was provided 
by publisher through NetGalley for an honest review.
(These are my actual opinions towards this book.)

REVIEW
Let me start off by saying that for a debut author Holly Smale knows how to write and bring characters to life. Let's just say I really enjoyed story despite the fact that it took me around two months to finish this book (that's just the type of reader I am)...But it was always a pleasure to re-pick up this.

What I really enjoyed about this book was the humor and the enjoyable characters. Mainly Harriet's dad he was extremely funny. I really enjoyed the side characters in this book. Something that I don't normally do unless I can't help it. I am usually more interesting in the maid character/s but Geek Girl was another exception.

The storyline was extremely unique, and enjoyable. Since it's about a "geek" who is offered a modeling job. How refreshing right? Plus Harriet's narrative was lovely to listen to. It was as if she was talking directly to me --the reader. Which is a type of Narrative I enjoy. Overall this book was a 5 star read or at least for me.

NEGATIVES:
• I could have liked to see more of the love interest in this book.

POSITIVES:
• The characters. I really enjoyed the characters. They were odd and some a bit dorky, but very lovely to read about. Like Harriet's parents were a very odd but lovely couple. ^^
• The narrative. I really enjoyed the way this book was written.
• The storyline. It was extremely new or at least I have never read anything like it.
• The unique writing style.

VIDEO REVIEW: none.

MY FAVORITE QUOTE(S):
“Quote” ― Character

OVERALL: I would recommend this book to anyone who would enjoy a book about a geek girl. ^^

My Rating: ★★★★★
Overall (Goodreads) Rating: 3.94 Stars
( o u t . o f . f i v e . stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently Reading:

The Battle of the Labyrinth
Smart Girls Think Twice
Summer at Tiffany
The Haunting of Hill House
Rot & Ruin
Misery


Geisha Cielos's favorite books »

Book Rating System

★★★★★ - It was AMAZING!! (WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS?!?!?!
★★★★☆ - REALLY liked it (You must check it out!)
★★★☆☆ - Liked it (Of course... you'll most likely like this.)
★★☆☆☆ - It was okay (hmm... you may like this.)
★☆☆☆☆ - Didn't like it (Why did I read this? Who would like this?)

Popular Posts

Manga/Comics Rating System.

CATEGORIES
- Story
- Art
- Character
- Enjoyment
- Overall

SCORING SYSTEM
10 Outstanding
9 Great
8 Very Goodv 7 Good
6 Fair
5 Mediocre (not very good)
4 Decent
3 Poor
2 Dreadful
1 Pathetic
http://myanimelist.net/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Personal Blog | ♥ | Media Review Blog
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Instagram

Looking for Something?