Monday, May 14, 2012

REVIEW: The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan


Title: The Kitchen God's Wife
Author: Amy Tan
1st Published: January 1st 1991
Page Count: Mass Paperback, 532 pages
Finished Reading:
 2010
First Line:  Whenever my mother talks to me; she begins the conversation as if we were already in the middle of an argument. (Amy Tan, page 3)


Goodreads Synopsis: Winnie and Helen have kept each other's worst secrets for more than fifty years. Now, because she believes she is dying, Helen wants to expose everything. And Winnie angrily determines that she must be the one to tell her daughter, Pearl, about the past—including the terible truth even Helen does not know. And so begins Winnie's story of her life on a small island outside Shanghai in the 1920s, and other places in China during World War II, and traces the happy and desperate events tha led to Winnie's coming to America in 1949.


Review: I love the writing, and how Amy Tan created the voices of each character. I could hear their voices in my head. I love the characters. I just loved this novel. ^_^;;


Video Review:


Quote(s): I went into Pearl's room. So many hurts and fights in this room. The Barbie doll I let her have, but no Ken. The perfume I wouldn't let her wear because it made her smell like cheap stuff. The curved dressing dressing table with the round mirror and silver handles, the one I love so much, but gave to my daughter instead. And when she saw it, she said she hated it! "You picked this one out just to toucher me," she shouted. (Amy Tan, page 93)
Recommends it to: anyone who enjoys books.

My Rating: ★★★★★
Overall (Goodreads) Rating: 3.85 Stars
( o u t . o f . f i v e . stars)

Check out @ Goodreads ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently Reading:

The Battle of the Labyrinth
Smart Girls Think Twice
Summer at Tiffany
The Haunting of Hill House
Rot & Ruin
Misery


Geisha Cielos's favorite books »

Book Rating System

★★★★★ - It was AMAZING!! (WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS?!?!?!
★★★★☆ - REALLY liked it (You must check it out!)
★★★☆☆ - Liked it (Of course... you'll most likely like this.)
★★☆☆☆ - It was okay (hmm... you may like this.)
★☆☆☆☆ - Didn't like it (Why did I read this? Who would like this?)

Popular Posts

Manga/Comics Rating System.

CATEGORIES
- Story
- Art
- Character
- Enjoyment
- Overall

SCORING SYSTEM
10 Outstanding
9 Great
8 Very Goodv 7 Good
6 Fair
5 Mediocre (not very good)
4 Decent
3 Poor
2 Dreadful
1 Pathetic
http://myanimelist.net/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Personal Blog | ♥ | Media Review Blog
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Instagram

Looking for Something?